Pay taxes on line at www.iowatreasurers.org
Window Hours: 7:30 am to 4:30pm
Mail - To avoid penalty, first half payments must be postmarked by September 30th, Second half payments must be postmarked by March 31st. Checks only
Drop Box - Northside of Courthouse. Payments will be considered timely if made same as postmark dates. Checks only
Pay-online - with www.iowatreasurers.org. Mastercard, Visa, Discover, or E-check accepted. (Service fees are computed per transaction)
At Counter - Check, cash, credit or debit card accepted (Service fee is computed per transaction).
Understanding the Tax Statement
Current year and prior year information is listed on each statement to assist property owners in tracking changes from year to year.
- The assessed value of the parcel for land, dwellings, and buildings. The assessments represent fair market value.
- The taxable value of the parcel for land, dwellings, and buildings. Taxable values could be different than assessed values do to State of Iowa roll back.
- Property location, acres (if agricultural property) parcel number, deed name, mailing name, contract holder name and legal description.
- Credits are applied for qualifying taxpayers. To determine eligibility contact the Treasurer’s or Assessor's office.
- Annual taxes due for current year and prior year.
- Distribution of taxes for current year and prior year. This section describes where and to who your tax dollars are distributed.
- Payment stubs for September payment and March payment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Are my first half taxes due September 1?
A. First half property tax payments are payable in September of each year, payments may be postmarked or paid by September 30th, first half taxes will be assessed penalty on or after October 1. Second half tax payments are payable March of each year, payments may be postmarked or paid by March 31st, 2nd half taxes will be assessed penalty on or after April 1.
Q. What is the penalty or interest for late payments?
A. Penalty is assessed on each individual receipt at 1 ½ per cent per month. There is a $1.00 minimum and is rounded to the nearest whole dollar.
Q. Can I make a partial payment on my property tax?
A. Yes, partial payments will be accepted. A $50.00 minimum is required. Any unpaid balance after the due date will be assessed penalty. There is no additional charge for this service. Prior notification is required.
Q. When is my name put in the paper for unpaid taxes?
A. Publication of delinquent taxes are printed the first week in June in one of the four
county newspapers. Contact our office to find out which paper it will be published in.
Q. I just purchased a new home and want to know who pays the taxes.
A. Your closing statement should indicate who pays the current tax. If not, you will need
to contact whoever prepared the deed or contract. If the issue was not addressed, it is
between the seller and buyer to determine who pays. Our office does not determine
Q. How do I change my mailing address on my tax statement?
A. Call, email or write our office.
Q. How can I tell if my mortgage company paid my taxes from my escrow account?
A. The current information is viewable at www. iowatreasurers.org or you may call our office.
Q. Can I have my taxes automatically deducted from my account?
A. Butler County does offer this service. Prior authorization and enrollment is required, call, write, or email or office for details.